Shepherd’s pie is one of the easiest, most delicious, and homey dishes. I don’t know why I don’t make it all the time! This two-dish recipe is full of hearty meat, fluffy snow white mashed potatoes, and healthy vegetables.
I recently read Shepherd’s pie is cooked with lamb and if you cook your meat pie with beef it is called Cottage pie. We’re ranchers so I guess I’m technically making Cottage pie. Whatever meat you choose, this hearty meal should be on your St. Patrick Day menu or heck put it on the weekly menu! I know I will.
1 lb ground beef
½ tsp salt & pepper
1 tbsp of minced garlic
1 package of Lipton onion soup mix
2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
1 cup beef broth
2 ½ cups of frozen mixed vegetables
5 Russet Burbank potatoes
3 tbsp butter
2/3 cup half and half
- Preheat oven 375 degrees.
- Boil potatoes for about 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In a large cast iron skillet brown meat.
- Add onions, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, onion soup mix, beef broth, vegetables, salt & pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Drain potatoes, add butter, and half and half. Mash until smooth.
- Spread the mashed potatoes across the meat mixture in the skillet.
- Place skillet in oven for about 35 minutes or until the mashed potatoes are golden brown.
Enjoy and Happy St. Patrick’s Day!